Following in the tradition of the Deaconess movement–embodied by a call to civic leadership and social justice–the Protestant Deaconess Hospital and nurses training program first began accepting students in 1896. At the time, Evansville was a flourishing River City, boasting a population of more than 50,000, and Evansville nurses and doctors sought to meet the needs of the city's growing residents. Since its humble inception in a house on the corner of Mary and Iowa Street, the school and hospital saw many transformations, but through the years, the integrity and skills of its nurses remained unparalleled.
Below please find our archives for the Deaconess Hospital School of Nursing. The nurses training school graduated 2,650 nurses–with the final class of nineteen students graduating in May of 1990. Here and in our physical archives, you will find Deaconess yearbooks dating from 1939-1990. There are approximately 700 Deaconess entries online as of 2018.
Feel free to search by name or by "keyword" (e.g., nurse's name, graduation date, Freshman/Sophomore, clinicals, etc.).