In 1872, Sister Marie Voelker and three Daughters of Charity opened St. Mary's Hospital in what was previously a vacant marine hospital on the banks of the Ohio River. By the late 1880s, significant shifts in technology, industry, and community growth necessitated a larger building capable of implementing the rapid electronic advancements of the day, and the sisters purchased seven lots on the corner of First Avenue and Columbia Street.
Construction finished in 1894, and the Daughters of Charity opened the new, improved St. Mary's Hospital, featuring steam-powered elevators, lighting that enabled nighttime surgeries, and a chapel. During that same year, the first class of students enrolled in St. Mary's School of Nursing. In the school's 73 year tenure, St. Mary's graduated a total of 1,552 students, all of whom dedicated themselves to the health and wellbeing of the Evansville community. Currently, the hospital is operating under the name St. Vincent.
Here you will find St. Mary's School of Nursing Yearbooks from 1932–1960, as well as doctors' photos and other images of the St. Mary's nurses at work. As of 2018, we have entered the information of 1,100 nursing students.
Search by name or "keyword" (e.g., nurse, Freshman/Senior, 1960, graduation, clinicals).